Local AngloINFO


The world is my home

Expand Current Page

Work Permits in Canada

Understand the legal requirements for working in Canada...

Anyone who is not a Canadian resident or permanent resident requires a work permit or some form of authorisation to work in Canada. However, different programmes and processes exist for different occupations, professions and categories. A work permit does not allow a person to live in Canada permanently; to live in Canada permanently, a person must satisfy immigration criteria.

Who Needs a Work Permit?

In general, anyone intending to work in Canada temporarily must have a work permit which should be applied for from outside Canada once the applicant has received a job offer from a Canadian employer. This job must satisfy the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) Labour Market Opinion criteria. Once these criteria have been satisfied, it is then necessary to apply for a work permit from the Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission in a person's country of residence.

Do you have a suggestion to improve this page? click here...

Looking for an international business opportunity? Why not run an AngloINFO site?
AngloINFO is growing fast and is looking for the right people to take on regional AngloINFO franchises around the world - click here to find out more!

AngloINFO Franchising: Be your own boss - where you want to be!